Canadian Wings :: The History & Heritage of the Royal Canadian Air Force

Frequently Asked Questions

<< prev - page 1 of 1 - next >>

Where can I do more research about Canada's Air Force history?

The Air Force Association of Canada employs professional researchers and a large research library. You can contact them through their website.

You can also visit the Official Air Force website, below is a link to the history section where you can send an e-mail to an air force historian.

How Do I Locate information on my family member killed in action?

This site contains a registry of information about the graves and memorials of more than 116,000 Canadians and Newfoundlanders who served valiantly and gave their lives for their country. The site also contains digital images of photographs and personal memorabilia about individual Canadians. The purpose of the Canadian Virtual War Memorial is to recognize and keep alive the memory of the achievements and sacrifices of Canadian citizens who have served in the defence of freedom and so have contributed to the development of Canada as a nation.

How Do I Locate "My Grandfather's" Service File?

The Genealogy and Personnel Records unit of the National Archives of Canada manages personnel records. While World War I personnel records are open, most from World War II are closed. Those World War II records that are open are those of service personnel who were killed in action, or veterans who survived the war but whose files have become open (i.e., it has been 20 years since their death or 110 years since their birth). This is a provision of the Privacy Act.
To access open personnel records, you need to know the person's full name and service (regimental) number. If the date of birth or death will help determine the person's identity, you are also responsible for providing this information:

Use this form to ask a specific question about genealogical sources and/or military personnel records held at Library and Archives Canada.

I have questions about my relative's military service.

Would you like to learn more about your ancestor's military career?  Visit the Library and Archives Canada or write to

How Do I Find Out Where Personnel Are Buried?

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission maintains a complete searchable website were any persons gravesite can be located:

I would like to enter the military. What are the criteria?

To enroll in the military, you must: be a Canadian citizen; be at least 17 years old; have a good reputation; and satisfy the medical requirements. For more information, call the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre at 1-800-856-8488.

How do I get a copy of the RCAF physical-fitness plan?

The RCAF physical-fitness plan, called the 5BX Plan for Men and the 10BX Plan for Women, used to be sold in bookstores. Some bookstores may still have them in stock, the ISBN number of the book is 0-660-01362-2. Copies of the 5BX and 10BX plans may also be available through the Air Force Association website:

Is This Site The Official Site Of The Canadian Air Force ?

No, this site is a personal site designed to promote the history of Canada's air forces and is not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, the Department of National Defence or the Air Force Association of Canada

<< prev - page 1 of 1 - next >>