No. 441 Squadron
Motto: STALK AND KILL
When transferred to the UK in February 1944, No. 125 Squadron, RCAF was renumbered No. 441. Established at Digby flying Spitfire Mk VB's, it moved to Holmesley South and replaced those with Mk IXB's the following month, commencing operations as part of No. 144 Wing, 2nd TAF (Tactical Air Force). Moves were made to various south coast bases, culminating at Ford in May, from where sorties were made during the invasion until a move to Normandy followed on the 15th of June. Early in July the wing was disbanded, 441 Squadron being posted to fly alongside RAF and RAAF units in 125 Wing. At the end of September 125 Wing was designated to receive squadrons of Spitfire Mk XIV's, and the Spitfire IX units all left the 2nd TAF, returning to the UK, 441 Squadron included. The unit moved to Hawkinge until the end of the year, flying escorts to Bomber Command daylight raids over Europe. It then moved to Skabrae in the Orkneys for a rest, returning in April 1945 to Hawkinge to resume these activities, moving late in the month to Hunsdon. It was intended the re-equipment with Mustang Mk IV should take place, but this did not occur until mid May, buy which time the war had ended. The squadron claimed 48 victories before leaving the 2nd TAF. The squadrons' aircraft carried the unit code 9G during this period.
Reformed in March of 1951 at Chatham, N.B. as a fighter squadron and equipped with Vampires and Sabres. Later, No. 441 Squadron was transferred to Marville, France, where it operated CF-104 Starfighters. The squadron disbanded from Baden-Soellingen March of 1986.
Reformed at CFB Cold Lake June 26, 1986 where it now flies the CF-18 Hornet Tactical Fighter. No. 441 TFS was consolidated with No. 416 TFS at CFB Cold Lake, Jul 6 2006 to form No. 409 TFS and its Battle Honours laid to rest.
Defence of Britain 1945, Fortress Europe 1944, Normandy France and Germany 1944-45, Arnhem Walcheren