No. 437 Squadron
Motto: Omnia passim (Anything anywhere)
Adoption: Hudson's Bay Company, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Formed at Blakehill Farm, Wiltshire, England on September 14, 1944 as the RCAF's 32nd - first of three transport - squadrons formed overseas. Three days after is formation, it airlifted part of the British Airborne force to Arnhem. Four days later, it suffered its first casualties when 4 out of 10 aircraft failed to return from a resupply flight to the Arnhem area. After hostilities the squadron provided air transport service to Canadian units on the Continent until disbanded at Odiham, Hampshire on June 15, 1946. During this period the unit operated the following aircraft:
* Douglas Dakota Mk.III & IV (September 1944 - June 1946)
No. 437 Squadron reformed as a Transport unit at Trenton, Ontario on 1 October 1961, the squadron flew Yukon aircraft on transatlantic service to Canadian military bases in Europe. On 1 February 1968 the squadron was integrated into the Canadian Armed Forces and the Yukons were eventually replaced with the Boeing CC-137 B707-320 aircraft.
No. 437 Squadron remains at CFB Trenton and is currently equipped with the Airbus CC-150 Polaris.
France and Germany 1944-1945 Arnhem Rhine
Honours & Awards
1 OBE, 8 DFC's, 2 AFC's, 1 DFM, 1 MiD, 3 King's Commendation