No. 432 Squadron
Motto: Saeviter ad lucem (Ferociously towards the light)
Adoption: Town of Leaside, Ontario Ancestry: King George VI, March 1945
No. 432 Squadron formed at Skipton-on-Swale on 1 May 1943 as part of No. 6 Group. Originally equipped with Vickers Wellington Mk Xs, it had become operational with these before the month was out, using the type for night bombing until November, when it was re-equipped with Avro Lancaster Mk IIs at East Moor. This gave the squadron greater capabilities, but in February 1944 this type was withdrawn and No. 432 was given Handley Page Halifax Mk IIIs. With these and Halifax Mk VIIs, which were very similar, the squadron continued to operate in the bomber offensive role throughout 1944 and into 1945, flying increasingly around the clock as the German fighter defences evaporated. Its final operation was on 25 April 1945, and the squadron disbanded 20 days later on 15 May at East Moor.
No. 432 Squadron re-formed as an All-Weather (Fighter) unit at Bagotville, Quebec on 1 October 1954, the squadron flew CF-100 aircraft on North American air defence until disbanded on 15 October 1961.
English Channel and North Sea 1943, Fortress Europe 1944-1945, France and Germany 1944-1945, Biscay Ports 1944, Ruhr 1943-1945, Berlin 1943-1944, German Ports 1943-1945, Normandy 1944, Rhine Biscay 1943
Honours & Awards
2 DSO's, 1 bar to DFC, 119 DFC's, 1 CGM, 20 DFM's, 1 Croix de Guerre