No. 430 Squadron
City of Sudbury, Silver Falcon
Motto: CELERITER CERTOQUE - "Swiftly and Surely"
No. 430 Squadron formed at Hartfordbridge Flats on 1 January 1943 as the third army co-operation squadron in the RCAF complement in Europe. It first received Curtiss Tomahawks, but soon converted to North American Mustang Mk Is, with which it began operations with 'Rhubarbs' in May. Offensive operations continued until the autumn, when No. 430 turned to defensive patrols from Ashford countering fighter-bomber attacks by German fighters on coastal towns. More and more it was involved in preparatory exercises for 1944's offensive in Normandy, and initially in 1944 No. 430 flew with Hawker Typhoon attack wings to photograph their results. Once the invasion had taken place the squadron flew road and transport reconnaissances around Caen, moving to France (Sommervieu) later in June. It was now flying over 500 sorties per month in support of the land battle, and from September moving regularly forward to new bases. In November 1944 it re-equipped with Supermarine Spitfire Mk XIVs for the same task, carrying on with tactical reconnaissance sorties and artillery spotting right up to its final mission on 5 May 1945. In that month it moved to Luneberg Heath and was disbanded there on 7 August 1945.
Two Supermarine Spiffire FR.MK XIVs of No. 430 Sqn are seen at Petit Brosel in Belgium. The squadron was using Spiffire Mk XIVs when the war ended.
Reformed after the war at North Bay as a Fighter squadron. No. 430 participated in 'Leapfrog 2 'when its F-86 Sabres were flown to Grostenquin, France, on 28 September 1952. The Squadron was eventually transferred to Zweibrucken, Germany, and equipped with CF-104 Starfighters. The squadron was reformed at CFB Valcartier as 430e Escadron Tactique d'Hélicoptères on January 1, 1971 flying the CH-135 Twin Huey and CH-136 Kiowa aircraft.
430e Escadron Tactique d'Hélicoptères resides at CFB Valcartier and currently operates the CH-146 Griffon Tactical Helicopter
Fortress Europe 1943-44, France and Germany 1944-45, Normandy 1944 Arnheim Rhine