No. 429 Squadron
Motto: FORTUNAE NIHIL - "Nothing to chance"
No. 429 Squadron formed at East Moor in Yorkshire on 7 November 1942 and was equipped with Vickers Wellington Mk IIIs. It began operations with this type in January 1943 as part of No. 6 Group, operating by night over Europe on bombing and mining missions. In August 1943 it moved to Leeming where it re-equipped with Handley Page Halifax Mk I, resuming operations in September. Augmented by Mk Vs, these were flown regularly night by night on bombing raids until March 1944, when the more powerful Halifax Mk III replaced them. This version bore the brunt of No. 429's war, putting in a full year's operations during the very heavy raids which were the culmination of Bomber Command's wartime attack on Germany. In March 1945 No. 429 re-equipped with Avro Lancaster Mk Is and Mk IIIs, and used these briefly on operations before the war in Europe ended. Thereafter the squadron remained in Bomber Command, flying POW repatriation duties and normal exercises until disbanding at Leeming on 31 May 1946.
Reformed as a Tactical Transport unit at St Hubert (Montreal), Quebec on 21 August 1967, the squadron flew Buffalo aircraft for the Canadian Forces Mobile Command. On 1 February 1968 was integrated into the Canadian Armed Forces as the Air Navigation and Instrument rating squadron of the Canadian Forces and was based at CFB Winnipeg and flew the CC-130 Hercules aircraft. In August 1981 is was renamed 429 Transport Squadron and soon after moved to CFB Winnipeg.
In 1990 it moved to CFB Trenton where it flew the CC-130 Hercules transport. No. 429 was latter combined with No. 437 Squadron and was disbanded and as an operational squadron.
In August 2007 No. 429 Squadron was again re-activated this time as the CF's first Strategic Transport Squadron operating the CC-177 Globemaster III strategic transport aircraft.
English Channel and North Sea 1943-1945, Baltic 1943-1945, Fortress Europe 1943-1944, France and Germany 1944-1945, Biscay Ports 1943-1944, Ruhr 1943-1944, Berlin 1943-1944, German Ports 1943-1945, Normandy 1944, Biscay 1943-1944