No. 428 Squadron
Motto: USQUE AD FINEM - "To the very end"
No. 428 Squadron formed at Dalton on 7 November 1942, another candidate for the new No. 6 (RCAF) Bomber Group. It was equipped with Vickers Wellington Mk IIIs and Mk Xs, and first went into action in January 1943. It flew Wellingtons for six months and then moved to Middleton St George and re-equipped with Handley Page Halifax Mk Vs, later supplemented by Mk II Series IIAs. The offensive was soon resumed and the squadron was operational whenever possible in the attack on Germany. It was Halifaxes of No. 428 Squadron which carried out the first high-level mining raid, dropping mines by parachute from 15,000ft (4570m) over Brest in January 1944. In June 1944 the squadron was re-equiped with Canadian-built Avro Lancaster Mk Xs, and from then on fought the rest of the Second World War with its home-built bombers. It remained in service in the UK until the end of May 1945. It then took its Lancasters to Canada, being stationed at Yarmouth until disbandment there on 5 September 1945.
Re-formed as a night-fighter squadron at Uplands on 21 June 1954 and flew the CF-100. No. 428 AW(F) Squadron was disbanded on 31 May 1961.
English Channel and North Sea 1943-44, Baltic 1944, Fortress Europe 1943-1944, France and Germany 1944-45, Biscay Ports 1943-44, Ruhr 1943-45, Berlin 1943-1944, Normandy 1944, German Ports 1943-45, Biscay 1943-44 Rhine