Canadian Wings :: The History & Heritage of the Royal Canadian Air Force

No. 425 Squadron

Alouetté

No. 425 Squadron  Badge The badge is derived from the squadron nickname Alouetté, and the motto comes from the refrain of the French Canadian folk song. The lark is shown in hovering position indicative of a bomber over the target about to strike at the enemy.

Motto: JE TE PLUMERAI - "I shall pluck you"

No. 425 Squadron was formed as a French-Canadian squadron (named 'Alouette') on 22 June 1942 at Dishforth. It was equipped with Vickers Wellington Mk IIIs and Mk Xs, which it first took into action early in October 1942. Night bombing was its task and this continued in 1943 when it transferred to No. 331 Wing at Kairouan in Tunisia for operations against Sicily and Italy during mid-1943. In November it returned to Dishforth to the more deadly operations over Germany, and by December had re-equipped with Handley Page Halifax Mk IIIs, which it took on operations from its new base at Tholthorpe beginning in February 1944. For the next 14 months the squadron flew on every night it was required against the Third Reich, and dropped over 11,000 tons of bombs during its operational career, which ended on 25 April 1945. Immediately after VE-Day it was re-equipped with Avro Lancaster Mk Xs which it took back to Canada to prepare for 'Tiger Force'. Based at Debert from June 1945, the squadron was eventually disbanded there on 5 September 1945.

Re-formed at RCAF Station St-Hubert on 1 October 1954 as an all-weather fighter squadron. It spent a short time at RCAF Station Namao (from October 1961 to July 1962) as the CF-101 Operational Training Unit before moving to its present home at 3 Wing Bagotville. Upon unification of the forces No. 425 Alouetté was a French language squadron that was an air defence squadron equipped with the CF-101 Voodoo interceptor. The squadron was based at CFB Bagotville, Quebec. The squadron was re-equipped in the early 80's with CF-18 Hornet.

No. 425 Alouette is a French language squadron based at CFB Bagotville, PQ currently flying the CF-18 Hornet.

Since the summer of 2005, the crews and aircraft of 433 Tactical Fighter Squadron, which were based at Bagotville, have been integrated with those of 425 Squadron, combining to form the sole fighter squadron at 3 Wing.

Battle Honours:
English Channel and North Sea 1942-43, Fortress Europe 1942-44, France and Germany 1944-45, Biscay Ports 1943-44, Ruhr 1942-45, Berlin 1944, German Parts 1942-45, Normandy 1944, Rhine Biscay 1942-43, Sicily 1943, Italy 1943 Salerno

Aircraft
  • Wellington III (August 1942 - April 1943)
  • Wellington X (April 1943 - October 1943)
  • Halifax III (December 1943 - May 1945)
  • Lancaster X (May 1945 - September 1945)
  • CF-100 Canuck
  • CF-101 Voodoo
  • CF-18 Hornet
Historical Achievements
  • First Operational Mission in WWII: 5th/6th October 1942 - 4 Wellingtons bombed Aachen & another Wellington bombed what was "believed" to have been Aachen.
  • Last Operational Mission in WWII: 25th April 1945 - 18 Halifaxs bombed gun batteries on island of Wangerooge.


[Go Back] - Email this Page