No. 414 Squadron
Sarnia Imperials , Black Knight
Motto: TOTIS VIRIBIS - "With all our might"
No. 414 Squadron formed in August 1941 at Croydon as army co-operation squadron. No. 414 Squadron flew Curtiss Tomahawk aircraft for nearly a year before it received its first North American Mustang Mk I's, employing these over Dieppe on the 19th August 1942, where the first aerial victory ever claimed by a Mustang pilot was credited to the unit. The Mustang's continued to be used in an offensive manor during 1943 on 'Rhubarbs', and 'Roadsteads', as well as reconnaissance sorties. During the year the unit became part of the 2nd TAF (Tactical Air Force) and in June 1944 was serving with No. 39 (Reece) Wing, operating from Odiham and undertaking sorties on behalf of the army over the front line area. August saw re-equipment with Spitfire Mk IX's due to the shortage of early versions of the Mustang and a move was made to French soil. In April 1945 the unit received Griffon-engine Spitfire Mk FR XIV, which it operated from German airfields up to the wars end. Despite not being a fighter squadron as such, frequent engagements had ensued and while 'defending' themselves, the Squadron's pilots had claimed 28 victories. The squadron aircraft carried the code letters RU until early 1943, after which only the individual aircraft letters were carried.
Re-activated at RCAF Station Rockcliffe in 1948 for photographic duties and flew Dakotas until being disbanded in November,1950. In November l952, it was again re-activated at Bagotville, P.Q., this time as a fighter squadron and was equipped with F-86 Sabres. The squadron left Uplands in August of 1953 and arrived at Baden-Soellingen, Germany, in September, serving there until being disbanded in June 1957. Re-formed in August of 1957 at North Bay, No. 414 AW (F) Squadron was equipped with CF-100 all-weather jet interceptors. In 1962, the squadron was re-equipped with CF-101B Voodoos.
Upon unification of the forces No. 414 Squadron became the electronic warfare squadron of the Canadian Forces and was equipped with the CF-100 Canuck Mk5D, CC-117 Falcon, ET-133 Silver Star, CF-101 Voodoo and EF-101 Voodoo. The squadron was based CFB Uplands (Ottawa), Ontario and later at CFB North Bay, Ontario. No. 414 was the last operational squadron of the F-101 Voodoo in the World.
In 1992 414 squadron split in two with one part going to CFB Comox as 414 Composite squadron and the other going to Greenwood as 434 Composite squadron. It changed its name to 414 Combat support squadron in 1993 and was equipped with the CT-133 Silver Star.
Nos 414 and 434 Squadron were disbanded following the retirement of the CT-133 Silver Star and CE/CP-144 Challengers and their duties handed over to civilian contractors.
On 7 December 2007 approval was received for the squadron to stand up once more, this time as 414 EWS (Electronic Warfare Support) Squadron. Belonging to 3 Wing Bagotville, the squadron is based in Ottawa and is composed of military Electronic Warfare Officers who fulfill the combat support role, flying on civilian contracted aircraft.
The squadron was re-formed at Gatineau Airport, Quebec, on 20 January 2009 to operate the Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet provided by Top Aces Consulting.
Defence of Britain 1941-43, Fortress Europe 1942-44,France and Germany 1944-45, Dieppe Normandy 1944, Arnhem Biscay 1943