No. 410 Squadron
Cougar, City of Saint John
Motto: NOCTIVAGA - "Wandering by Night"
The RCAF's third nigh-fighter, No. 410 Squadron, formed on Defiants at Ayr at the end of June 1941, moving to Drem in August with detachments located at several other airfields. Beaufighter II's replaced the Defiants in April and in June the Squadron returned to Ayr, with a detachment a Drem, before moving to Scorton in September and to Acklington in October where it converted to deHavilland Mosquito Mk II's, with which the first victory was claimed. In February 1943 the unit moved to Coleby Grange to undertake some 'Ranger' sorties, while a detachment moved to Predannack. Mosquito Mk VI's supplemented the Mk II's from July, while in November the unit moved to Hunsdon where in December Mosquito Mk XII's replace the earlier types. In June 1944 a move was made to Zeels where the Squadron became part of the 2nd TAF (Tactical Air Force), moving to Colerne in July, and in August commenced conversion to the Mosquito Mk XXX. A return to Hunsdon preceded a move to France in September, where regular patrols commences. Moves to other French airfields followed, and then in April 1945 to Gilze-Rijen in Holland. The Squadron had the distinction of being the top-scoring night-fighter unit in 2nd TAF in the period between D-Day and VE-Day. A total of 75 3/4 victories had been claimed by the end of the war. The Squadron used the code letter RA on it's aircraft during this period.
No. 410 was reformed in December, 1948 at St. Hubert, P.C. The first post-war fighter squadron in the RCAF (Regular). Originally equipped with Vampires the Cougars became the first squadron in the RCAF to fly Sabres. No. 410 became the first RCAF squadron to go overseas equipped with Canadian-built aircraft. Based at North Luffenham until the fall of 1954, when it moved to Baden-Soellingen, Germany, where it was attached to No. 4 Fighter Wing until March, 1955. The Cougars moved to Marville, France, where they were disbanded. Reformed at Uplands as 410 (AW)F Squadron on 1 November 1956. On 20 December 1961 became Canada's first operational Voodoo squadron. It was disbanded once again an 31 March 1964.
Reformed again No. 410 Nighthawk was the operational training squadron for the CF-101 Voodoo interceptor. The squadron was based at CFB Bagotville, Quebec. On June 11, 1982, the squadron moved to CFB Cold Lake and re-equipped with the CF-18 as 410 Tactical Fighter (Operational Training) Sqn were it currently resides today.
Defence of Britain 1941-44, Fortress Europe 1943, Rhine France and Germany 1944-45, Normandy 1944, Biscay 1943, Gulf War