No. 408 Squadron
Motto: For Freedom
No. 408 Squadron was formed at Lindholme, Yorkshire, on June 24, 1941 and was the second of the many RCAF bomber squadrons which served overseas in the Second world war. The squadron took part in the first 1,000-bomber raid on Germany, flew many missions against naval and industrial targets, and played an active part in Gardening (mine laying) for victory. Beginning operations with Hampdens in 1941, No. 408 was given Halifaxs towards the end of the following year and later (August 1943) Lancaster II's. In the summer of 1944 it returned to Halifaxs and dropped "well over 10,000 tons of bombs and mines". It gained more than 210 awards, including 160 DFC's and over 30 DFM's. The squadron was disbanded September 1945. Reformed as a Photographic unit at Rockcliffe (Ottawa), Ontario on 10 January 1949, the squadron flew modified Lancaster aircraft equipped with shoran, for geodetic control in aerial photography in the far north and Arctic regions of Canada, and Canso, Norseman, Otter and Dakota aircraft to fly in and maintain the ground stations associated with shoran. When this program was completed, the unit was redesignated Reconnaissance on 18 July 1957 and flew Lancaster aircraft on Arctic surveillance patrols. In April 1964 it moved to Rivers, Manitoba, was redesignated Transport Support and Area Reconnaissance, and re-equipped with CC-119 Flying Boxcar and Silver Star aircraft. The Boxcars were retired in 1965 and replaced by the CC-130 Hercules. On 1 February 1968 the squadron was integrated into the Canadian Armed Forces. It was disbanded on 1 April 1970 and moved to CFB Edmonton where it re-formed as 408 Tactical Helicopter Sqn.
Today No. 408 Sqn flies, twenty three CH-146 Griffon's, out of CFB Edmonton, Alberta
English Channel and North Sea 1941-1943, Baltic 1941-1943, Fortress Europe 1941-1944, France and Germany 1944-1945, Rhine Biscay Ports 1941-1944, Ruhr 1941-1945, Berlin 1943-1944, German Ports 1941-1945, Normandy 1944, Biscay 1942-1943