No. 400 Squadron
Eagle, City of Toronto
Motto: PERCUSSURI VIGILES - "On the watch to strike"
Adoption: City Council of Toronto, Ontario
The City of Toronto Squadron, originally No. 10 Army Cooperation Squadron, was formed in October 1932, and was the RCAF's first auxiliary squadron. It acquired its Toronto affiliation in 1935 and a new numerical designation, "110", about two years later. Reformed as No. 110 "City of Toronto" (AC) Sqn (Aux), Toronto, on October 5, 1932. No. 110 Squadron, RCAF arrived in the UK in February 1940 as an Army Cooperation squadron. It was renumbered as 400 Squadron at Odiham Hants., England March 1, 1941, operating Curtiss Tomahawks and later North American Mustang Mk I aircraft. During the Mustang period some engagements with Luftwaffe aircraft took place when tactical reconnaissance sorties were being flown over Western Europe during late 1942 and 1943. Nine victories were claimed by December 1943. The squadron was re-equipped with the unarmed photo reconnaissance Spitfire Mk XI and Mosquito Mk XVI. The squadron carried the code SP on its aircraft during this time. It was disbanded on 7 August 1945 at a captured airfield in Germany. Reformed in 1946,
No. 400 was the first Reserve squadron to reorganize and was reformed at RCAF Station Downsview, Toronto on April 15, 1945 as an Auziliary Fighter-Bomber Squadron operating North American Harvard Mk IIBs. The Cold War era had the squadron operating Vampires and Sabres in the Air Defence role. The Squadron role was later changed to that of a light transport squadron, as part of No. 2 Air Reserve Wing using the Expeditor and later added the Search and rescue role with the deHavilland Otter aircraft.
Unification of the Canadian Forces brought about another name change this time to No. 400 "City of Toronto" Air Reserve Squadron and with the retirement of the Otter the squadron converted to a rotary wing squadron within 10 Tactical Air Group operating the CH-136 Kiowa in the LOH role. With the closure of CFB Toronto (Downsview) in 1996 the Squadron reloacated to CFB Bordon and is now equipped with the CH-146 Griffon.
During peacetime, the squadron fulfills 1 Wing commitments by providing operational and training support to Land Force Central Area (LFCA), the defence of Canadian sovereignty, support to national taskings, and support to peacekeeping operations. Its secondary duties are to support AIRCOM's search and rescue operations.
In the unlikely event that the nation mobilizes for war, 400 Tactical Helicopter and Training Squadron will deploy all of its aviation assets, including support equipment, to augment 427 Special Operations Aviation Squadron in Petawawa. Those personnel remaining behind will form the core of a forces generation unit.
400 Tactical Helicopter and Training Squadron has an establishment of 237 personnel divided into 6 flights.
Fortress Europe 1941-44, France and Germany 1944-45, Dieppe Normandy Arnheim Rhine Biscay 1942-43