No. 117 Squadron
Authorized as a Fighter unit at Saint John, New Brunswick on April 1, 1938, the squadron was redesignated Coast Artillery Cooperation (CAC) on May 1, 1939. When ordered to mobilize in September, the squadron's organization was incomplete and it was disbanded on October 29, 1939.
Re-formed as a Bomber Reconnaissance unit at Sydney, Nova Scotia on 1 August 1941 with Stranraer flying boats, the squadron, less aircraft, was transferred to Western Air Command in October; there its members were distributed among other under-strength units. The squadron was temporarily disbanded at Jericho Beach (Vancouver), British Columbia on 20 November 1941.
Reactivated at Sydney on 28 April 1942, the unit flew Catalina and Canso A aircraft on anti-submhrine duty over the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the waters adjacent to Cape Breten Island until disbanded at Shelburne, Nova Scotia on 15 December 1943.
1 DFC, 1 AFM, 2 MiD's.
First Mission 13 May 1942, Canso A 9702 "K" from North Sydney with F/L J.H. Roberts and crew - area sweep from Cabot Strait to the western tip of Anticosti Island. Sighted 5 vessels, all friendly.
Last Mission 27 November 1943, 2 Catalinas from North Sydney - escort of convoy TU4A (7 troopships, 1 tanker, 2 motor vessels, 7 destroyers).
Operational/Non-operational Flying Hours: 12,391/867
Victories: U-boat: None; 1 attack.