Canadian Wings :: The History & Heritage of the Royal Canadian Air Force

Avro LINCOLN

In 1943, an improved version of the Lancaster was proposed for the war in the Pacific. The aircraft featured larger dimensions, more powerful engines, better performance, heavier armament and longer range. Originally intended to be designated the Lancaster Mk IV, the eventual design was sufficiently different to warrant a new designation and name and became known as the Avro 694 Lincoln.

Preparing for the "Tiger Force" intended for the Pacific war, as well, Canada ordered home production of the Lincoln in order to re-equip Canadian bomber squadrons destined for the Pacific theatre. At the cessation of hostilities, the production order was terminated after only six aircraft had been started. Three Lincolns, including two borrowed from the RAF, were then briefly evaluated by the RCAF in post-war tests.

In the fall of 1947, there was a special appearance by several Lincoln aircraft of the Second World War's famous 617 Dambusters Squadron at the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE), Toronto, Ontario.

aircraft specifications
CDN Reg:
US/NATO Reg.:
Manufacturer: Licence built from Avro by Victory Aircraft Ltd (later Avro Canada) in Malton
Crew / Passengers: typical crew of seven
Power Plant(s): Four 1,750 hp Rolls-Royce Merlin 85 piston engines
Performance: Max Speed: 295 mph (475 km/h) Cruising Speed: 238 mph (383 km/h) Service Ceiling: 22,000 ft (6,706 m) Range: 3,750 miles (6,035 km)
Weights: Empty: 43,778 lb (19,858 kg) Gross: 82,000 lb (37,195 kg)
Dimensions: Span: 120 ft 0 in (36.58 m) Length: 78 ft 3 1/2 in (23.86 m)
Height: 17 ft 3 1/2 in (5.27 m) Wing Area: 1,421 sq ft (132.02 sq m)
Armament: Provisions for a 14,000 lb (6,350 kg) bomb load and self defence armament consisting of twin 20 mm or .50 in cal guns in nose, dorsal and tail powered turrets
RAF Lincolns of 617 Dambuster Squadron at CNE 1947; Photo Credit CNE Archives



[Go Back] - Email this Page